Sugar Free Pomegranate Syrup. A thick sweet syrup rich with pomegranate flavor—perfect over pancakes or ice cream. Not your typical thin runny syrup. This Sugar Free Pomegranate Syrup is thicker and doesn’t run off your food. The perfect Christmas gift for the people in your life that can’t have sugar. Scroll down to see what secret ingredient I use.
Why I Love this Sugar Free Pomegranate Syrup
- Tastes amazing
- Easy on the calories
- Goes on a lot of different foods
- Makes a great milk shake or sundae
- Perfect on pancakes and waffles
There are actually two secret ingredients one for thickening and the other for sweetening. ONE: I used Swerve sugar substitute instead of granulated sugar. It has ZERO calories and tastes great! TWO: I used Knox Gelatin powder as a thickening agent. It thickened the syrup just enough so it wasn’t thin like water.
Can this Sugar Free Pomegranate Syrup be Frozen?
Sadly….NO. When gelatin is frozen it doesn’t keep it’s integrity. The water crystallizes and breaks apart the bonds of the gelatin. WHAT I SUGGEST: Say you have a pomegranate tree and would to make a large amount of syrup. I would suggest making the syrup as directed, leaving out the gelatin. Reheat the syrup, add the gelatin and refrigerate overnight.
How to make Sugar Free Pomegranate Syrup
- Place 13½ cups of pomegranate seeds into a large pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil covered.
- Turn heat down to medium low and simmer (covered) 30 minutes.
- Strain water from the seeds (SAVE THE WATER).
- Using a fine mesh strainer, fitted in a large bowl, using the back of a heavy spoon, press juice out of seeds.
- Pour juice into the reserved water.
- Pour water and juice back into the large pot.
- Add sugar (Swerve) to the juice.
- Bring to a boil (covered).
- Take off the lid, turn down the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Skim off foam.
- STOP AT THIS POINT IF YOU PLAN ON FREEZING THE SYRUP
- In a large bowl add cold water, stir in gelatin powder.
- Let the gelatin sit for 10 minutes and stir into hot syrup.
- Divide into container, refrigerate overnight.
MORE SUGAR FREE RECIPES
- SUGAR FREE RHUBARB SYRUP
- SUGAR FREE PEACH SWEET TEA
- SUGAR FREE RAZZLEBERRY PIE
- SUGAR FREE BARBECUE SAUCE
- PEANUT BUTTER FRUIT DIP
- ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- HAWAIIAN PINEAPPLE COLESLAW
- CUCUMBER SALAD
- 13½ cups pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup Swerve Zero calorie sugar
- 2 (¼ ounce) envelopes Knox Gelatin powder
Place pomegranate seeds into a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil covered. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer (covered) 30 minutes. Strain water from the seeds (SAVE THE WATER). Using a fine mesh strainer, fitted in a large bowl, using the back of a heavy spoon, press juice out of seeds. Pour juice into the reserved water. Pour water and juice back into the large pot. Add sugar (Swerve) to the juice. Bring to a boil (covered). Take off the lid, turn down the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Skim off foam. In a large bowl add cold water, stir in gelatin powder. Let the gelatin sit for 10 minutes and stir into hot syrup. Divide into containers, refrigerate overnight. Will stay fresh up to a week in the refrigerator.