FINALLY a scone I can have and not feel guilty about eating. Did you know a Blueberry Scone from Starbucks is about 460 calories? WOW!
What a TREAT! I’m so excited! Now I can have a scone at only 217 calories. These light ham and cheese scones are a generous portion too!
Light Ham and Cheese Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped ham (I used a ham steak from the deli)
- 3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal ( I just use my fingers to do this job).
- Stir in cheese and ham.
- Combine buttermilk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead 4 to 5 times with floured hands.
- Pat into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coasted with cooking spray.
- Cut into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
This recipe was adapted from The Best Of Cooking Light 2006 Cookbook