Delicious savory scones with chunks of ham and sharp cheddar, make these scones the perfect light brunch dish. These savory Light Ham and Cheese Scones are on the lighter side and even though they are light and fluffy, what I’m talking about is the calorie count. With great ingredients like fat free buttermilk, egg whites and reduced fat cheese, now you can enjoy yourself a guilt free large scone!
MAY FAVORITE SCONE RECIPES
- MINI LEMON POPPY SEED SCONES
- FRESH STRAWBERRY SCONES
- CHRISTMAS SCONES
- TRIPLE CINNAMON SCONES
- PUMPKIN SCONES
- ORANGE SCONES
TIPS FOR CREATING A TENDER SCONE DOUGH
- Use a pastry cutter or fingers to incorporate the butter.
- Add just enough buttermilk to make the dough stick together. Otherwise, the scones may come out tough.
- If adding frozen fruit, wait until the end (just before you cut the scones) so that the juices don’t melt into the dough before it gets into the heat of the oven.
- Don’t soften your butter. Cold butter make scone rise higher.
- If you’ve making scones with ingredients like canned pumpkin or mashed banana, use less buttermilk.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Splenda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup finely chopped ham (I used a ham steak from the deli)
- ¾ cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, chili powder and chives in a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal ( I just use my fingers to do this job).
- Stir in cheese and ham.
- Combine buttermilk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead 4 to 5 times with floured hands.
- Pat into an 8-inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges, place in seperate pieces on the prepated cookie sheet. Brush heavy cream on scone tops. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.