Persimmon Muffins. Light and airy muffins packed with fresh persimmon, your favorite holiday spices and topped with toasted walnuts. A lot of times we over look this amazing fruit—that not only tastes good but is also packed with a nice amount of nutrients.
What does a persimmon taste like?
Which type of persimmon do I choose?
There are twp types of persimmons the fuyu and the hachiya.
How to make Persimmon Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Cream together the persimmon pulp, oil and sugar.
- Add eggs and milk.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup nuts.
- Mix until well blended.
- Divide batter among 18 cupcake wells (I used an ice cream scoop).
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of chopped nuts on top of muffins.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on cooling rack.
- Take out of pan and cool completely.
MORE RECIPES USING PERSIMMONS
How to quickly ripen and pulp persimmons
10 MORE MUFFIN RECIPES
- CRANBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
- AMBROSIA MUFFINS
- LOW FAT ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- GLAZED DONUT MUFFINS
- BERRY CHEESECAKE MUFFINS
- FRUIT AND FLAXSEED MUFFINS
- BLUSHBERRY TEA OATMEAL MUFFINS
- BANANA NUT MUFFINS
- CRANBERRY OATMEAL ORANGE AND SPICE TEA MUFFINS
- CINNAMON BLUEBERRY CRUMBLE MUFFINS
- 1 cup persimmon pulp (about 3 medium persimmons)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped, divided
Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners and set a side.
In a large mixing bowl stir together the persimmon, oil, sugar, eggs and milk; set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Stir in ¼ cup chopped nuts and flour mixture into the persimmon mixture. Evenly scoop batter (I used an ice cream scoop with a sweep handle) into prepared pans. Sprinkle remaining chopped nuts on top of muffins. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes on a cooling rack, take out of the pan and cool completely.
Adding the nuts on top of the muffins will allow them to toast and create another layer of delicious flavor.
These muffins freeze beautifully. If you would like to freeze some of or all of your muffins, simply place them in a freezer safe zip top bag or air tight container and freeze.