Everything You Need To Know About Candy Melts: Candy melts are the most versatile treat medium, scroll down to find tons of tips and tricks. From what’s the best thinner to use, how to heat candy melts, what can be created with candy melts ,and more! Still have a question I didn’t cover? Please add it to the comments and I will do my best to answer.
What are Candy Melts?
Candy Melts VS White Chocolate
The Best Product for Thinning Candy Melts
NEVER USE WATER
Will Candy Melts Soften in Warm Temperatures?
Candy melts start to soften between 86 and 93°. Something to keep in mind when planning a outdoor summer party.
How to Make Candy Melts Shiny
According to Southern Living, coconut oil is the secret to achieving a super-shiny chocolate coating (NOTE: Candy melts are NOT chocolate so I’m not sure how this tip will work with candy melts verses chocolate). It brings a little extra luster to melted chocolate, which , on its own, can become matte when dry. Not only does coconut oil make your chocolate coating shine, but it also helps the chocolate harden. It has also been reported that using solid vegetable shortening will also keep the shine in candy melts. NOTE: I HAVE NOT TESTED ANY OF THESE METHODS FOR SHINE
4 Ways to Melt Candy Melts
- MELTING POT: The Wilton melting pot helps keep candy melted and regulates the heat so you don’t end up with over heated candy. The pot comes with two inserts. One allows a bag of candy to be added. The second insert has a divider that allows two colors to be melted at the same time.
- MICROWAVE: Using the microwave is easy and convenient. Pour candy in a microwave safe bowl, heat at 60% for 1 minute. Stir, if the candy is not completely melted and creamy, heat an additional 30 seconds. NOTE: This is for 1 cup of candy melts.
- DOUBLE BOILER: Add water to the bottom of a saucepan. Make sure the bowl you choose fits nicely on the pot. DO NOT ALLOW THE BOILING WATER TO TOUCH THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL. Pour candy in the bowl, stir until candy is melted and creamy.
- ELECTRIC PAN: If you don’t have a Wilton melting pot using an electric pan is a great alternative. Add a layer of water, turn heat high until water gets hot and at a simmer. Pour candy into a heat resistant container, place in to water. Heat until candy is melted and creamy. Once candy is melted, turn down heat just to keep water hot.
How to Flavor Candy Melts
You can purchase candy melts in a variety of colors. Unless you purchase the chocolate candy melts the colored ones are vanilla flavored. While they’re not bad on their own, below you will find some ideas on how to pump up the flavor.
• SPICES: Spice up your candy melts with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice and just about any spice you can think of. Eggnog Pretzels for Christmas or Pumpkin Latte Pretzels for Thanksgiving.
• CAKE MIX: Add a little cake mix to the melted candy for a delicious cake batter flavor. Like these Birthday Cake Pretzels.
○ ¼ cup dry cake mix to 1 (12 ounce) bag candy melts.
• FREEZE DRIED FRUIT: Dip whatever you’re coating with candy and while the candy is still wet dip into crushed freeze dried fruit. Like these Apple Pie Pretzels.
• OILS OR FLAVORINGS: Using either of these products will transform vanilla candy into a fun creation. Be careful and don’t add too much. YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD MORE…..About ½ teaspoon of flavoring or ¼ teaspoon of oil per bag of candy.
• TOPPINGS: Create different combos with toppings like toasted coconut, mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried fruit, and mini M&M’s.
• ESPRESSO POWDER: Create a mocha flavored treat when using chocolate candy and add a tablespoon of espresso powder.
Helpful Squeeze Bottle Tips
TOOTHPICK: A toothpick is the best tool to use when working with a squeeze bottle.
- STOPPED UP SQUEEZE BOTTLE LID: Poke a toothpick in the opening of the squeeze bottle lid, using an up and down motion should release any candy that has hardened.
- CLEANING THE LID: Put a small piece of wet paper towel into the large tip opening of the lid, use a toothpick to push the paper towel into the pointed end of the lid.
- KEEP A SQUEEZE BOTTLE FROM THE LID CLOGGING: When working with multiple colors of melted candy it’s easy for the tip of a squeeze bottle to become clogged due to the melted candy becoming cold and hard. Once finished with a color, place a toothpick into the hole until ready to use it again (during the same project).
Squeeze Bottle VS Zip Top Bag
Did you know you can use a small zip top bag to make a drizzle? Yes, you can! In a pinch a small zip top bag with the corner snipped will work. Do I recommend it? Hmmmm….I’m on the fence. I can’t say no but on the other hand I 100% prefer using squeeze bottle. Why? You can be a little more precise and I love the tiny lines. You will get chunky lines with a zip top bag. Squeeze bottles are only .98cents at Walmart.
How to Store Leftover Melted Candy
If you find you have melted too much candy for your project, don’t worry melted candy can be stored to use again. STORAGE: Pour melted candy into a zip top bag, let all the air out of the bag, zip the bag closed, and let sit out until hardened. USE AGAIN: Pull the hardened candy out of the bag, place in a microwave safe bowl, heat for 1 minute on high, stir and continue heating in 30 second increments at 60% until the candy is melted and creamy.
14 Treats Made With Candy Melts
What is Candy Clay? A deliciously sweet and tasty edible candy that is perfect for making edible decorations. Use to replace fondant.
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 (12 ounce) bag candy melts
- Melt candy following package directions. Add corn syrup and stir to bled (mixture may appear oily).
- Turn out mixture onto wax paper and let set at room temperature to dry. Wrap well and store at room temperature overnight or until needed. TIP: Candy clay handles best if left to set overnight before using.
- TO USE: Candy clay will be very hard at the start; knead a small portion at a time until workable. If candy clay get too soft, set aside at room temperature or refrigerate briefly. When rolling out candy clay, sprinkle work surface with cornstarch or cocoa powder (for cocoa clay) to prevent sticking; roll to approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- TO TINT: White candy clay may be tinted using Candy Color. Knead in color until well blended.
- TO STORE: Prepared candy clay will last for several weeks at room temperature in an airtight container.
ICE CREAM CONE
These easy to make party treats can be made ahead of time and come in many different shapes. Customize to the theme of your party. Click here for ideas and recipes →CAKE POPS
Another easy party treat option that can be made days in advance. Click here for all the ideas and recipes→ MARSHMALLOW POPS
HOW TO MAKE OREO POPS
- Separate an Oreo cookie, leaving the filling on one side.
- Press a lollipop stick into the filling.
- Add a dollop of melted candy over the lollipop stick.
- Add a little bit more to the underside of the other cookie and press together.
- Place in the refrigerator until hardened (about 5 minutes).
- Spoon melted candy over Oreo, making sure to fill around the edges between each cookie layer.
- While coating is still melted add embellishments.
- Place in a piece of styrofoam and then the refrigerator to harden.
STORE BOUGHT COOKIES
Semi Homemade Treats at its finest! Take away some of the stress of making a dessert for your dinner party and embellish store bought cookies! These dipped shortbread cookies are perfect for any party. Add sprinkles, dried fruit or nuts!
If you’ve been here for any amount of time you know that decoration pretzels are my favorite. I have over 40 ideas! It’s the unexpected treat. Guests love the sweet and salty combo. Create decorated pretzels to fit any party theme. From Halloween, Christmas to Birthday Parties, decorated pretzels are on top of the list of easy party treats. Click here for all the ideas and recipes→ DECORATED PRETZELS
CUPCAKE TOPPERS—CANDY MOLDS
How to Color Candy Melts
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS POST→EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOW TO DECORATE PRETZELS
SIGN UP FOR THE LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN NEWSLETTER AND FOLLOW THE LADY BEHIND THE PARTY ETSY SHOP
THANKS FOR VISITING♥