Shepherd’s Pie Recipe. Comfort food at it’s best! Shepherd’s Pie is a meaty casserole with a rich sauce/gravy, vegetables and topped with mashed potatoes. Traditionally tons of mashed potatoes are made for Thanksgiving, Christmas or both! This Shepherd’s Pie Recipe offers the solution to those mounds of leftover mashed potatoes.
What is a Shepherd’s Pie and where did it originate?
With many variations, the defining ingredients are beef or lamb, cooked in a gravy or sauce with onion and other vegetables, topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. Sometimes also topped with grated cheese. Originally a pie made with any kind of meat and mashed potato was called a “cottage pie”. If made with lamb it is usually called “shepherd’s pie (this shepherd’s pie is made with ground beef). The place of origin is United Kingdom. The term shepherd’s pie did not appear until 1854.
Why I love this Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- A great solution to leftover mashed potatoes
- Delicious meat sauce that would go great on pasta on its own
- Just as good as leftovers
- Easy to make
- Comfort food
How to make this Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- *FOR THE MASHED POTATOES*
- Use 5 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
- OR make mashed potatoes….click here for the recipe—->>>>THE BEST HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES
- *FOR THE MEAT SAUCE*
- Saute vegetables (onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic) in olive oil and butter.
- Add ground beef, cook until all pink is gone.
- Sprinkle flour over meat/vegetable mixture.
- Add tomato paste, beef stock, red wine, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 1 hour, remove thyme stems and bay leaf, stir in peas.
- Pour into a 9×13 baking dish
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of meat sauce.
- Bake at 400° 30 minutes.
MORE MAIN DISH RECIPES
- SLOW COOKER CRANBERRY ROAST
- SEMI HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE
- THE BEST BRAISED SHORT RIB RECIPE
- BOLOGNESE SAUCE
- FAMILY STYLE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- ARTICHOKE LEMON CHICKEN FILLETS
- GRILLED STICKY PORK CHOPS
- INSTANT POT MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN
- INSTANT POT SWISS STEAK
For the Meat Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stock, chopped
- 1 large carrot ,chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
For the Mashed Potatoes
- 5 cups leftover mashed potatoes OR
- make from scratch (link below)
For the Meat Sauce:
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter. Saute onion, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms until tender. Add ground beef, cook until all pink is gone. Sprinkle flour over vegetable and beef mixture, stir. Add—tomato paste, beef stock, red wine, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 1 hour, remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf, stir in frozen peas.
Preheat oven to 400°. Pour meat mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Evenly spread and cover meat mixture with mashed potatoes. Don't have leftover mashed potatoes? Click here for the recipe---->>>>THE BEST HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES. Bake 30 minutes.
NEVER MISS A POST
HOLIDAY DESSERT RECIPES
- MINI EGGNOG CHEESECAKES WITH A RUM CARAMEL DRIZZLE
- WHITE CHRISTMAS VANILLA SWISS CAKE ROLL
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS EGGNOG TRUFFLES
- MERRY AND BRIGHT MARSHMALLOW FILLED CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES
- GINGERBREAD WINTER WONDERLAND CAKE
- RASPBERRY ZINGER CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES
- PEPPERMINT MARSHMALLOW FILLED CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- ITALIAN CREAM CHRISTMAS CUPCAKE PULL APART
- COCONUT PECAN CHRISTMAS CAKE